what is web Directory ?
Definitions of directory on the Web:
- an alphabetical list of names and addresses
- (computer science) a listing of the files stored in memory (usually on a hard disk)
- Generally, a directory, as used in computing and telephony, refers to a repository or database of information which is heavily optimized for reading, under the assumption that data updates are very rare compared to data reads. ...
- In computer software, specifically the command line interface of the OpenVMS operating system, the DIRECTORY command (often abbreviated as DIR) is used to list the files inside a directory. It is analogous to the DOS dir and Unix ls commands.
- A Directorial Republic is a country ruled by a College of several men which jointly exercise the powers of Head of State. This system of government is in contrast both with presidential republics and parliamentary republics. ...
- The Executive Directory (Directoire exécutif) was a body of five Directors that held executive power in France following the Convention and preceding the Consulate. ...
- Folder, directory, catalog, or drawer, in computing, is a virtual container within a digital file system, in which groups of computer files and other folders can be kept and organized.
- A list of names, addresses etc., of specific classes of people or organizations, often in alphabetical order or in some classification; : A structured listing of the names and characteristics of the files on a storage device; : A simulated folder in a personal computer's file system, in which ...
- This five-member group functioned as the executive for the governmental system created by the Constitution of 1795. As its most visible component, the Directory gave its name to the entire government. ...
- a number of smaller ads put together to form a larger ad.
- The list you get with "ls" :-)
- A compilation of websites that is categorized and sorted by a topic. Within every directory listing you will find an informative description of each site. When a site is listed on a popular directory, the site's link popularity will increase.
- Human compiled listing of Web sites in a logical hierarchical order. (Yahoo!, Looksmart and DMOZ are all directories)
- A division on a disk which has a name and usually contains several files which belong together. Directories are arranged hierarchically in tree form (with branches and sub-branches) and can be displayed in this form on a certain program level like that found in Corpus Presenter when you are ...
- a searchable internet site which catagorizes web sites and lists links, often with a review. About.com is an example of a directory. Often directories will have search engine abilities as well.